Pastor and Tentmaker:Reserved for a few?

Hi Brother Joel,

Quick question: Can you be a called pastor and be in business at the same time?

This comes from the thought of being in the FT vocation that you are either a King or a Priest but rarely can you be both i.e. there are few Paul’s, Priscilla and Aquila’s out there.

Long story short – I am gifted in business but called to the pastorate i.e. start seminary in Oct /07 but as much as I try to do business I seem to fail yet almost everything I do in ministry flourishes (lay lead). I know as an entrepreneur our greatest strength is our greatest weakness (chasing after the wind or things not intended by God because we can smell an opportunity a mile away)…

Yet, I think God’s one pruning for me is – it is one of my greatest temptations. It is not some much weaning as it is protecting me from a divided heart (conscious or subconsciously God knows my wrestle and is protective)…

Does God call someone to be a pastor wholly committed to serve God or can he do that at the same time he works in a normal job?

I know you are a tentmaker… a rarity (maybe)… I want to be a tentmaker, but part of me thinks God doesn’t want me to be one for those same reasons above…

I know you are only reading from me a grain of sand from a beach of thoughts of walking with God on this issue, but I hope God would reveal some revelations to you…

Thanks for hearing…
Love to hear your thoughts?

Blessings,

Gil